Monday, July 10, 2006

weird and well-known

In a foreign country, and yet everything is familiar. The road signs are weird but I understand what they mean. I stop at a petrol station and easily find the chocolate that I never tried but know will taste good, and grab a newspaper in a strange language where the news are familiar.

I stutter something in the foreign language to the shop assistant but I feel it's not the first time, I have stuttered things in this language years ago.

Later, I sink back in a café chair and sip my coffee black, with a piece of bitter dark chocolate, the way I never drink coffee at home. Yet my body recognises the flavour. I kick off my shoes and feel the heat of the sun radiate from the pavement, like it never really does at home, and look around at a new environment. And it is all so well known that my heart aches from it.

It is a comfort, to be at home anywhere you go. It is also frightening. Have I seen everything there is to see in the world?

I really don't know how to be surprised anymore. Maybe I just don't dare to.

No comments: