Tuesday, March 20, 2007

a planet came looking for me

When I looked out towards the sea this evening there was the crescent moon with Venus again. If that is really Venus, that is - I should find out but my mind is too weary to go look for facts that I should know. Another thing to feel guilty about.

The sky was beautiful, that crescent and planet against the pink-gold sunset, and I was surprised to see it because I didn't deserve it. I have been languishing here in my grey prison for weeks with neither the energy nor the will to break out and I have come to expect nothing more. Sometimes I ask God and all other powers there be to do something, to break down these walls, but in the next moment I accept that he will do nothing of the kind because I can't, won't, help myself. Sunken into a stupor, I have accepted that grey walls are what I will be seeing for the rest of my life.

But then. The gentle light of a crescent moon, a shard of lunar glass. A rich cascade of sunset colours too valuable to waste on someone like me. A planet who has broken orbit and travelled closer to the earth just to show me that there is brilliance in the universe that I have yet to discover. They refuse to be ignored. Jolted out of my private room of misery, I stare in disbelief.

Just for me?

7 comments:

Prince K. said...

Yes, just for you.
People are so ignorant about this...
The other day there was a partial eclipse. I was walking down the Lake when I saw the reflection of the Sun, with a part of her face blocked by the young Moon. She was still shining brightly, so no one took notice.
Yet, I was enamoured by that sight. It was... wonderful. And, I strained my eyes to see her properly. She was bright, but the moon had done a goos job dulling her a little, and thus I was able to watch his maxima on the Sun.

And everyone around me walked by this...beauty... ignorant.
I, was amazed and enraged at this.
Here was the Eclipse, and here are the people just walking by it...
But, then I realised, it was just for me. I was blessed.

And, yes. Venus does look very pretty near the Moon...

Good post, and do forgive my rather long ramble.

Aruni RC said...

Star-watcher and storm-gazer. For all the grey walls, I'm sure that perceiving such beauty is bound to be reflected in the person.

blog on,
...

Aruni RC said...

here's hoping that all our grey walls dissolve one day.

Different Pen said...

It is truly a blessing to be able to see beauty where others walk by in ignorance. I'm trying to learn...

Here's another thought: it is easier to actually notice beauty when you have been staring at grey walls for a while. Perhaps we need this contrast. It certainly made me feel grateful.

Thanks, my precious blog friends, for your constant encouragement! It is infinitely valuable to me.

Prince K. said...

It feels good, doesn't it PP?
You have this aura about you which no one else has...

Blah. I am boasting.

Shyama said...

It shines because has to, for no one in particular, just that day it was fir you

Different Pen said...

Yes, that day it was for me. And how it helped...