Saturday, June 02, 2012

confessions of a city-dweller

Should point out that I'm not condescending towards village life. Not exclaiming over the delightful quaintness of the natives while wrinkling my nose over primitive habits. People here are as "modern" as I am but have mostly managed to hang on to the good parts of living close to nature and each other. I'm genuinely fascinated by the community spirit and the beautiful surroundings. I'm also more than a little envious.

I grew up in middle-class suburbia but spent high school in the company of kids from this village and many others like it. They took the school bus into the suburb every morning (a few of them had a three-hour round trip) and their funny dialects and stories of village life always made me feel that they were living the genuine life. Perhaps because I myself am only one generation removed from farm life.

At times, I have dreamed of having this life. By now I have identified with the restless, stimulus-hunting city mindset. So, being on holiday in this village, what I feel is gratefulness for being accepted here anyway. Being allowed to take a small part and enjoy myself. I guess I am exclaiming over the delightful quaintness of this life. But if I'm wrinkling my nose over something, it's over the hyper-modern eco-toilet not working properly.

No comments: