Wednesday, November 14, 2012

a boring description of a boring event

An urgent need to de-stress.

My mind suggests a week-long stay on a beach in the Seychelles and then immediately rejects the suggestion for financial reasons.

I walk home from work, exhausted and knowing more work is waiting at home. Decide on a short detour, just a couple of blocks to unwind. A dark November evening.

A stop by an R-kioski (Finland's answer to 7-11) for no other reason than that it looks bright and inviting. I look at the broad selection of magazines, everything from adult magazines and Newsweek to knitting and sailing periodicals, in several different languages. Impressive. I look at the paperback shelves, mostly Fifty Shades of Grey and the latest Finnish whodunits. Not so impressive. I eavesdrop on a conversation between a middle-aged man and the cashier: "The opening hours of Sampo Bank have been reduced again! What's next, all their employees will be let go, won't they?"

I continue my walk through back streets, past the hospital and down the path through the woods down to the beach. It's after dark but the path is well-lit and you can (almost) always feel safe in this town. Plenty of joggers and dog-walkers around. I look at the dark, ice-cold waves washing ashore.

Past a grocery store to pick up apples, eggs, bread, a small bag of crisps. And then home.

And wow, I'm de-stressed.

No comments: