Tuesday, December 08, 2015

make room, pretty

Dark-eyed men are drifting around in the city centre mall these days, playing with their phones and greeting each other in Arabic.

My Finland is changing. Now there are men here who make eye contact, who say "hello, pretty", who make me smile and feel vaguely afraid at the same time. Not afraid of them. Of all the sudden changes in this world. Of losing my trust and my welcoming smile.

I'm thinking of how much I have to lose, when I really want to be the one who keeps giving.

2 comments:

Aruni RC said...

Think Coelho's Alchemist maybe, the dark eyes and dark thoughts on a dark desert night, supplanted suddenly into the icy frost of your native land.

A touch of magic to cast away the bite of reality and the niggles of change.

Different Pen said...

You're right. Find a bit of magic, make it an adventure. As they say, "Replace fear of the unknown with curiosity".