Tuesday, January 28, 2020

2019: the year of the twinge and the north wind

* New Year: Pink bubbly in a storm, friends and deep talk.
* Got better at planning my days - or not? ("World dominion, then food.")
* Prison visit - shuddered in a solitary confinement cell. News station visit - stood quiet as a mouse in a studio broadcasting live.
* Reread my journals from 35 years. Lessons learned(?): Personal development comes from seeking help and daring to show weakness. I have a life-long longing for creativity. Drive is important - happiness comes from working towards improvement and being kind to myself. Other people cause me to change. And I forget a lot.
* A twinge in my back: No volleyball for seven months and a gorgeous physiotherapist.
* Brought a borrowed bichon frisé to the office for a day.
* Threw a party for an 85-year-old. It didn't stop until a few days later.
* Epic, half-year-long fight among my closest friends. Is one of them is a psychopath?
* Wrote 40 pages of fiction.
* Birthday with road trip, mango cake, Cava and an espresso maker.
* Days in Prague: Good beer hunting, Mozart dinner, reunion with old friends, the castle in pouring rain, Jewish quarter, private guided tour and a zombie.
* Found Cloud Lake, a soul-healing place.
* Road trip with volleyballers, with discussions on whether Jesus ever took the tram.
* Climbed an old attic to look for treasure and feasted on perch toast and kids' pancakes.
* Summery brunch with the non-skiing Ski Club.
* Whirlwind business trip to sunny Uppsala, Sweden. Clothes, outdoor lunch inspired by Linnaeus, a forest fire.
* Second-hand shopping day in Jakobstad with expert.
* North wind and moth summer, and wonderful days alone in the wilderness (with DVDs).
* Ranch visit and Agda the people-loving sheep.
* My first single-handed major renovation project, undertaken very reluctantly and with lots of whining.
* Road trip with mother to Nedervetil, Kaustby, Terjärv, Evijärvi, Kortesjärvi, Komossa. YWAM nostalgia. Open fields, silent forests, hidden lakes, cottages, family history.
* Wrote a professional, official statement regarding ugly guys, for a court case.
* Watched heavy rain approach, feeling exhilarated. Went berry picking (with a scarf on my head, very old-fashioned and appropriate look).
* Goal: find divine love.
* Jyväskylä weekend: Airbnb luxury apartment, beachvolley and flamenco dancers. Home with a detour via Death (the village).
* Chased geese dressed in Armani.
* End-of-summer celebration, wonderful and melancholic as always.
* Translated God's own words to me, half-deaf.
* Saw a play: Fiddler on the Roof.
* Dug out old family treasures and arranged a good old-fashioned, analogue slide show.
* Attended a vernissage where the artwork had lava and gold in it, and made sure to drink enough champagne to get me through a game of volleyball after.
* Halloween weekend in Tampere and the surrounding lake district: ancient ruins in rain, good and bad music, boots shopping, thriller writing, a medieval castle.
* Discovered the farmers market and started handing over cash for suspicious carrot bags out of someone's car boot in a pitch-black parking lot.
* Sent my phone to an unknown fate in Lithuania and got a new one in return. There went my 440-day streak on DuoLingo.
* Six concerts in as  many weeks (I never go to concerts, really.) Mozart, KAJ, lots of gospel and Christmas music.
* Became a grandfather's sister and all my nieces and nephews are now officially adults. And I still wear a teenager's beanie.
* Asked the janitor to move in with me since he was here all the time anyway to fix stuff.
* Traditional Christmas lunch with important people that I didn't know how to talk to.
* Christmas celebrations: the simple version and the expensive version. It took nine hours this year too.
* New Year's Eve with someone I didn't really know. Deep talk, great salmon pizza and blueberry bubbly.

Other noteworthy things during the year: Delicious brunches, a webinar, a traditional midsummer party with traditional emergencies, a poodle week, ruffs, beach wrestling, picnics and my fairytale world, loneliness, helping mother, a far-travelled oak leaf, a phone smelling of male sweat, tofu, Netflix.

Work-related stuff: Investigated how to break a pair of trousers, chased lost underwear (from a distance), translated a speech by the president of South Sudan, pretended I knew Norwegian.

Hair colour melange: ivory-cream-chestnut-chocolate-anthracite.

New phenomena: Started dreaming more (at night), taking my coffee black and sitting in cafés again.

Quote of the year: "Farewell, beautiful thighs. I would like to have knees also in the future."

No comments: