Friday, November 05, 2021

trams, haunted castles, the world

I travelled through most of Helsinki by tram last weekend. That was a good weekend.

Add to that a good friend, a murder mystery comedy play at the theatre, a cute café on a cold day, large bookstores, people-watching and world-watching and the kind of deliciously outerworldly clothes you only find in big cities. And a glass of wine in a haunted castle, bent over a book on local architecture.

The last time I was in Helsinki was just before the pandemic hit. I spent those days elbowing my way through dense crowds of people, all crammed together to enjoy a light show festival. Today nobody would even think of getting close enough to a stranger to breathe in their personal space. The city seemed a little more subdued. But eager to rise again.

I wore a face mask, and sometimes forgot it. That's the in-between time we live in right now. And I realised how much I have missed travelling, trams, the theatre, haunted castles, the world.

No comments: