Sunday, September 23, 2012

a heather moment

"Pick out your heather quickly. Or I'll catch pneumonia!"

My mother is choosing plants to put on graves and her own balcony. Since they are expected to last over the winter, the choice is limited. Still, I never suspected there were so many varieties and sizes and colours of heather.

And we're standing in an outdoor flower market, it's a chilly autumn day and it's RAINING. I'm dressed for shopping (high heels, a beautiful white cardigan), not for braving the Finnish climate and getting plant soil all over me.

I feel miserable, shivering in the rain. But around me are flowers, one more beautiful than the other. Beauty, especially in dreary surroundings, never fails to impress me. And I'm with my mother, and she is going to make me coffee after this.

Suddenly, I get the feeling that this is one of those moments that count.

No comments: