Sunday, September 16, 2012

family and fear

School photos on the fridge. A playful dog dancing around my feet. The wonderful smell of a casserole in the oven. Kids coming in and going out. Someone putting a CD on while I dig around an unfamiliar cupboard for utensils to set the table. The kitchen a lived-in, cosy mess.

My niece and nephews chat about teachers and football training and computer games and oh, this is what I miss in my childless state - being a part of a society, a neighbourhood, a normal lifestyle, a culture, being up to date with what kids talk about.

As I am out of touch with the next generation, will I in a few years be hopelessly on the outside of the world they are taking over?

2 comments:

Aruni RC said...

ah the generation gap. Had a weird parallel - visited university campus where I used to hang out about 2 years back. New faces, kids. Same wise words on young lips. Different, yes but somehow hauntingly similar.

Different Pen said...

Strange experience, isn't it? Like an alternate universe. Certainly broadens one's horizons!