Sunday, December 02, 2012

hell, grasshoppers and Horatio

Lazy autumn Sunday, browzing Wikipedia over a cup of coffee. Random facts learned and reflections made:

* A Pennsylvania town is home to seven gates that lead directly to hell.
* The Beginning of the End could not begin until 200 grasshoppers had been sexed.
* If you have to be killed by a cyclone, wouldn't it be nice if it had an unintentionally poetic name like Tropical Depression Eleven-E?
* Jalan Jerangau Barat, Federal route, is a federal road in Terengganu, Malaysia.
* The male features of high cheekbones, a strong jaw and chin are an attractive physical trait. (Actually, I knew that already.)

In response to all this, I have to quote the Bard again:

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

Jaw-dropping, the amount of information available on my laptop. When I grew up, an encyclopedia was a huge book that was slightly outdated even when it was new but you never questioned the facts in it.

Nowadays, if you want to quote Shakespeare but can't remember the words, you only have to google "heaven horatio" and the quote pops up in 0.2 seconds.

I have also become an expert on questioning and doubting facts. But I still love Wikipedia.

2 comments:

Aruni RC said...

and then from the Bard again "tablets! quick my tablets!"
to set things down, these fleeting thoughts into cogent words. :)

Different Pen said...

Indeed! And all my thought are fleeting, alas!