Thursday, March 10, 2022

behind a long border

The iodine tablets are sold out all over town. I feel a little embarrassed to be asking about them at the pharmacy but I don't object when one of them puts me on a waiting list - as number 35. I remember being very young and hearing about the fallout from Chernobyl drifting towards Finland. The danger is now real again.

My country shares a very long border with a suddenly very unpredictable neighbour. My father, whose father fought a war, used to be very suspicious towards our neighbour. I used to scoff. Now I understand. But my suspicions and fears are different than his. I fear radioactive fallout, cyber attacks, power cuts, being isolated and unable to get information. 

Like so many others here, I take out some cash, fill up my car with petrol, stock up my kitchen cupboards, buy battery chargers and battery-operated radios.

I feel a bit embarrassed about this too. Finland is in no danger - or are we? Nobody really knows, these days.

The armed forces are conducting a major practical exercise in town this week. It's been planned for a long time, has nothing to do with the new war in Europe. But when you watch news footage of that war, and then look up to see an army helicopter in the sky and armed soldiers in the street - something you never see around here - it's unsettling.

In this safe little country, suddenly we are nervous.

No comments: