Friday, May 02, 2014

how beauteous mankind is


Getting a job is easier these days. Or harder.

When I was younger, I looked for job ads and applied, then sent copies of university diplomas and written references from previous employers.

Nowadays you just get together for a little chat with a prospective employer, sometimes over the phone - they ask, "What's your background?" and I tell them I am a professional translator and mention vaguely the sort of jobs I have done in the past. They probably Google me, but there's not much to find there.

And then they give me the job.

The tricky part is that in order to get to this point, you usually have had to be recommended to them by someone you and they know. 

But - what? I say the words "professional translator" and they just believe me? I think I like this world.

No comments: