Monday, May 19, 2014

whirling juggling circus act

There was the glorious summer morning, warm and fragrant like a garden, with a salty breeze from the sea.

And there was a woman with tousled hair and no make-up, dressed in old sweatpants and a white T-shirt, sitting barefoot on a balcony in the midst of all this May beauty. A mug of coffee and a laptop with TV shows to be subtitled - the kind of work that doesn't really seem like work at all.

Was it a dream, or was it really my life this morning? Who would have thought, that cold, grey day in March when I cried for my lost job among muddy fields and dark clouds, that I would have a day like this?

When the afternoon grew too hot, I closed my laptop with satisfaction and headed out to while away the rest of the day. Drifted around with my mother until a rain shower surprised us and cooled the air. Went back to the balcony, where we had icecream and coffee and watched the world for a peaceful hour.

Later, a take-away pizza, rainy streets, dreams of love, and being asked, "Are you Turkish?", which made me smile.

This life may be precarious and unsafe - I don't even know where my next paycheck is coming from, if at all. But I promise I will savour it.  Freedom and summer.

* * * *

"Precarious, life is. A flying leap. A sweep of hand. A star flung across the night. A lucky catch in this whirling juggling circus act." - Rivera Sun

No comments: