Thursday, January 01, 2015

breaking in the new year

Fireworks exploding over my head, glass of bubbly in one hand, a sparkler in the other. Laughter with cool new friends.

2015 arrived with a very pleasant cliché indeed.

My heart always skips with joy when I admire fireworks, but this time it wasn't just my heart. Every nerve was shivering with excitement. What a long time it is, I suddenly realised, since I was unreservedly happy like this!

It didn't even take much. Just the rare courage of going to a party where I didn't know anybody, smiling and bravely being me among interesting strangers. The knowledge that I am somewhere unexpected, doing something unexpected, among strangers. And a few glasses of wine.

New Year's Eve was a complete, unexpected success then. New Year's Day, on the other hand, was spent in a haze of tiredness that deteriorated into angry sobs as my car broke down. Spectacularly and yes, also very unexpectedly.

What might this mean for the year to come?

No comments: