Thursday, January 22, 2015

woodsmoke and silence

The sunshine, slanting in across white, flat fields. The landscape, wide and open and dotted with the pretty red cottages and grey barns that are so common here. A sweet smell of woodsmoke in the frigid air.

This country is so beautiful. I had forgotten, again. I spend all my time wandering around my little town and forget that there is all this world outside of it.
Driving in temperatures of  minus 12 degrees Celsius feels slightly dangerous but my little car doesn't let me down this time. It even manages to keep the temperature inside acceptably warm. I leave the highway for a smaller road that is treacherously icy but forget to be nervous because the sun is setting and there are picturesque villages along this road and it's all so quaint that it's ridiculous.

After a while, you forget the frustrations of winter driving: icy roads, blizzards with zero visibility, mysterious engine failures because of the cold, and the endless, endless drudgery of scraping ice and snow off your car before you can get going.

I know I will freeze half to death the moment I step out of the car but who can resist sampling the deep, peaceful silence of this world?


(Image from pinsta.me)

No comments: