Wednesday, August 17, 2011

that book, you know

I get dizzy staring at the page. Side by side, friends from different eras of my life, parts of the world, circumstances - might as well be from different planets or different dreams of mine.

A bully from high school, a person I struggled through the jungle with, someone I performed a dance show with, someone I studied Scottish ghosts with, someone I had a picnic at the Versailles with...

...people in whose company I have got drunk, been kissed, spent the night in a Gothic cemetery, spent Christmas night on a beach, kissed the Blarney stone, had supernatural experiences, analysed French poems, smoked weed, been on a double date, eaten mince pie, celebrated volleyball victories, scrubbed a 20-foot sailboat with a toothbrush, visited obscure country pubs and trendy nightclubs, participated in Bible study...

...one woman who got us lost in the slum of St. Petersburg, Russia, one guy I have only met in the blog world, one guy I'm not sure I have actually met, someone I played with as a two-year-old and hardly seen since, a handsome man whose nose I nearly broke, a lesbian girl whose suicide I prevented, my exes and their exes, family members, people I have loved/hated/admired...

...pastors, ex-football-stars, managers, chefs, occult guides, safari guides, musicians, clowns, sculptors and actors, doctors, bar owners, green magazine publishers, army officers, surfer dudes, biker dudes, missionaries, pet shop owners, Tesco lorry drivers... and my scary boss who just joined and made me break out in a cold sweat trying to think if I have posted something embarrassing lately.

How neat to have the relationships of an entire life underneath that blue-white banner, FaceBook.

No comments: