Monday, November 06, 2006

a gift of darkness for my dearest friend

My friend calls me, crying over the phone. I try to console but feel helpless. At least I can offer her my listening, and she thanks me for it.

"Ring me when you are in pain the next time," she urges me. I promise.

The next day, I am in pain and in the deepest darkness of the soul. But I don't call her, even though I know she would listen with sincere sympathy. I lie alone in the dark and cry. I withdraw like a wounded animal. How can I look for consolation from my friends? How would that help? I am scared to let them see me weep.

I must learn to share my pain. I know there is something healing in the process even though I don't understand it yet. A true friend needs to see the real you.

I may not call her next time I cry in the dark. But maybe the day after I will share with her a little piece of what is haunting me. As a start, a genuine offering from my heart. I will give her my most precious possession, the one I guard with my life. My pain and weakness. Because she gave me hers.

2 comments:

Aruni RC said...

Well u R a friend and a good one at that,

Different Pen said...

Thank you. It means a great deal to hear it.