Thursday, November 30, 2006

sad and weary satellite

One more time, a "no". Bizarre how such a small word can completely drain you of all energy.

So I keep wandering around the dark periphery, fighting the demons of bitterness and self-pity, enviously circling the glittering people who know how to smile and give and feel hope. They reach out to me, sometimes. But they don't know darkness and can never reach far enough. I can't blame them - who would want to risk leaving the bright centre to face the terrors here?

When I turn away from the brightness I notice that there are others out here. Lost souls with despair in their eyes, some even further out in the wilderness than I. Sometimes - just sometimes, when I can find the strength - I manage to clasp the hand of one of them, and we share our pitiful warmth for a while. If I could pull one of them just a little bit closer to the light, maybe it's all worth it.

6 comments:

Aruni RC said...

It is the common misconception of lonely souls to think that they are the only ones in the dark and who strive for the light.
However, as long as there is that bit of goodwill in a world that grows chill, there is still hope. For the unsung, unknown, ungloried.

pianopoet, know that there will always be some who honour and feel empathy for every lost soul in the whole wide universe. And strive to reach out to them.

Different Pen said...

So true. The deceptive feeling of being alone is the worst thing about the darkness. But so much more comforting the realisation that it is deception! There are always others, some of them feeling just as lonely. May we never lose hope.

Prince K. said...

Sorrow has a human heart
For my god it will depart
I've sail before a thousand moons
Never finding where to go

Two hundred twenty two days of light
Will be desired by a night
A moment for the poets play
Until there's nothing left to say...


The closer you get to the Light, the darker the Darkness seems. And, if you are suddenly left back... all's lost.

I am already drained of this world's pitiful bondage.
Someone help me.

Different Pen said...

Ah yes, Nightwish... A beautiful song written by another melancholic Finn.

The good old cliché is still true: It is always darkest before the dawn. It's when we despair that someone unexpected reaches out a helping hand. I sincerely hope that holds true for you as well, dearest Prince.

Prince K. said...

It holds true for many people PP... More so to the whole world.
What you say is quite true...

Aruni RC said...

Indeed. I believe that in the end we can win over the odds, however dark be the hour. When faced with adversiy, we often stumble back. But it is never a full step. We progress however towards some form of fulfilment.

I hope, as I have always hoped that many may find in their darkest hour that glimmer of fire that enkindles one to forge ahead.
And then the slow dirge of a grey life seems all at once to be a mighty symphony of triumph and the joy of existence.
You, dear Pianopoet and hopefully others, may always keep that spark alive in your souls. If we cannot touch each other it is only because we haven't reached far enough.
And Kazarelth, I hope too that you may reach fulfilment, come what mayy.