Wednesday, March 28, 2007

survived the month of murders

March is the last month of sleep for growing things, says my mother. She always buys a sack of good soil in March and replants all her many potted plants. In April, it's too late, because by then the plants have woken from their winter sleep and started their growing season. And they don't like to be disturbed, pulled up by the roots and shoved into a new pot with new soil, once they have started growing. Or so she claims.

March here at 63 degrees North is a grey and wet affair. The crystal beauty of winter ruined, like a wedding dress that's been dragged through mud. Spring still hesitating behind the corner.

Like my mother's plants, I am half asleep, weary after a long winter, too sluggish to hope for the sun. I survive, barely. My history teacher in school once told me that March is the month of murders and I can see why.

It always seems to happen in March. Half dead, I'm pulled up by the roots and shoved into something new, if only a new way of thinking. It always hurts, no matter how absolutely essential it is for my survival. After a desperate struggle to adjust, I slowly start to notice the spring sun, the world turns on its hinges and my growing season has arrived.

I realise it's more or less too late to replant my own potted plants by now. I go out and buy some shockingly yellow daffodils.

7 comments:

Prince K. said...

Heh. The plants here are fully soaking up the [already] hot sun, here.

Whilst I amble past them all. Sincerely wishing I was them. They waited and they received what they wanted: the Sun-rays.
Stupidly incessant mornings which allow not the last dreg of comfort and ravaging afternoons which descend upon my computer-kissing self like a horde of Orcs.

April is my month in more ways than one. Always liked it. Mostly because it is the month of my birthday. But also because eventually the winter beats a hasty retreat. Although this year it has long gone.

"...wedding dress that's been dragged through mud."

You write so beautifully PP!

Bah. I wish I could see the world the way you see it...

Different Pen said...

Yes, April is a month of good cheer... and of my birthday too!

"...descend upon my computer-kissing self like a horde of Orcs..." You sure have a way with words, dear Prince, I am as always fascinated and intrigued.

Lucifer said...

In here, it is the same. They murder us in March. By pushing us up to the next class.

Aruni RC said...

But why forget the ides, say I?

Glad to have you back and posting, PP. It is nice to find that your posts have lost nothing of their limpid clarity, given the 'murderous month'. Why don't you post a few pics of the March in Finland that's so alien from the one we have here?

Prince K. said...

What a pleasant surprise!!
Happy [Advanced] Birthday!!
Mine is on the Eleventh...

And, thanks for your kind words on my stupid writings...!

Different Pen said...

Lucifer: I always wonder why people can't just be a bit nicer to each other this time of the year, since life is tough enough anyway...

Aruni: I avoid taking pics because I can't stand looking at this messy month... but will look through my pictures and see if I have anything to post.

Prince: Stupid? Never!!

Prince K. said...

Thanks again for your kindest words!
Now I can get back at my morose and boring life with some glimmer...

Alright. I'll confess.

I am truly bored.
VERY bored.
Almost makes me feel that I should be excited at the prospect of school starting on the 14th.
Bah.