Saturday, January 12, 2008

all God's children

The angelic little shop where I spend my days attracts people from all the known parts of space.

Today there were, among others, a Romani (gypsy) family, an African student who asked if I could help to cook for his wedding, a lady with cerebral palsy and bright lipstick, an alcoholic who was convinced he is John Lennon, a man who came to sit in the back office of the shop for hours and draw pictures of UFOs, and two dear old Finnish grandmas who came (separately) to tell me about good old days and deceased husbands, and cry for a while.

I felt a bit like Papa Panov in the old folk tale, who was told Jesus would visit him but who was distracted by all the people who needed him.

Oh the suffering of the world. And the joy, and the magic.

3 comments:

Prince K. said...

Funny, I wrote a composition for my test- a story about life and how it changes a cynic's outlook. Wish I was being truthful and not writing for a few marks. Heh.

Harish Suryanarayana said...

Ah, your prose has poetry in it. Fantastic smorgasbord of people ! What kind of shop is it ?

Different Pen said...

Prince, you might have been more truthful than you realise (and wish)...!

Thank you, Harish Suryanarayana, appreciate your kind comment! Yes, it's an eclectic collection... The book sells Christian books, music, and second-hand clothes and trinkets. I guess the mix is irresistible.