Sunday, October 05, 2008

russian wisdom: let it amaze you

"So long as man remains free he strives for nothing so incessantly and so painfully as to find some one to worship." Said Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Dostoevsky, whom I have not yet managed to read except in the form of WikiQuote, has also apparently said something along the lines of: "You have to love life more than its meaning."

Which I interpret as: don't wear yourself out trying to rationalize a meaning out of everything, because it's impossible anyway. Just live life as it is and let it amaze you.

So I try, out of a ditch of weariness and worry. There is actually something there: a song about snakeskin boots picked me up today, together with a large mug of spiced coffee. Maybe I'll even find someone to worship today.

2 comments:

Aruni RC said...

The interpretations hit home. unfortunately its in my nature to search for meaning. even if i do not get the answers, i know enough to appreciate the question.
another favorite quote is; "There is nothing more seductive for man than the freedom of his conscience, but there is nothing more tormenting either."
And coffee is an instant remedy against the rising Darkness!

Lucid Darkness said...

It's a difficult thing to ask, you know. Almost like asking a person to live life without asking questions. It's something I'd find nigh impossible. And perhaps it is the weariness that I really want when I tire restlessly to look for a meaning and purpose in everything. Maybe it's so that I have something to do to occupy myself with. Sigh.