Wednesday, September 28, 2011

highway lullaby by Jamie

Day 4 out of four days off. I have done only things that felt right (mostly lying on the sofa watching QI) and life has caught up with me and now nothing feels right. Not a single thing. Useless, useless, vanity of vanities.

After spending hours thinking about places I could go in order to get a new perspective, and rejecting all of them, I go on a road trip to the nearest town. There is nothing to see there, except an overgrown, abandoned park where I stroll in the mild September sun. I'm sure I look out of place dressed in black and leather among the falling leaves and the tall thistles. But the quietness of the trees and the fields nearby calms me.

But the main cure for depression turns out to be driving a car. Focusing on simple things and listening to Jamie Cullum sing "nothing's gonna harm you, not while I'm around. No one's gonna hurt you, not while I'm around".

No comments: