Friday, January 08, 2016

the games that play us

* Volleyball. Forever and ever the love of my life. Started in fifth or sixth grade thanks to a wise teacher called Runar, in a small and dark gym. Throughout the rest of my school years volleyball was my only extra-curricular activity - when I could be bothered to go. We had two coaches: one who put us through murderous hours of practising technique, one who didn't know much technique but let us play around and have fun. Not until one of my last school years did we actually get to play against any other teams. With the exception of my Irish years, I've played since then. Always just for fun.

* The main sports of PE classes: ice skating and skiing in winter, pesäpallo (Finnish version of baseball) in spring and autumn. The ice skating was sometimes combined with playing bandy, which was fun. The skiing was the cross-country kind where we were basically let loose on the skiing tracks in nearby forests without supervision. This always turned into a competition and I always finished among the last, so no good memories there (having to lug the heavy skiing equipment to and from school didn't help). I wasn't very good at pesäpallo either and was always one of the last to be picked for a team, but it was kind of fun.

* Badminton, during one or two quiet winters in the Irish mountains. My childhood game turned out to be a good way to kill time and get to know the Irish.

* Dance, during a few years at university, and zumba, which I bravely threw myself into much later (when it became a thing).

* Swimming: exercise on hot summer days.

* Running, cycling and weight-lifting: necessary evils that I avoid until I can't.

* Horse riding and tap dancing: hobbies I wish I had. One is too expensive, the other nobody seems to be doing anymore. Why?

No comments: