Friday, February 15, 2008

the materialistic part of my existence

4 cardigans
2 shirts
4 pairs of trousers
5 short-sleeved tops
1 crocheted shawl
1 suede jacket
2 winter coats
4 skirts
1 dress
1 belt
books, table cloths, candles, shampoos, miscellaneous

I used to buy on average 3 pieces of clothing a year. The above is the sum of the last three months only - the time I've been working in the Little Shop of Harmony, with its second-hand store in the basement. The total sum of the above is only half of what I paid for my last pair of new jeans.

Now I buy stuff for a fraction of what it's worth, save the world's resources and support charity work, all while delighting in new (for me at least) clothes. Go fleamarkets!

4 comments:

Lucid Darkness said...

And go you! :P
Hehe.

The only thing I bought very recently is a bottle of shampoo, which I'd run out of and needed pronto.
Oh and I'll probably need to buy contact lens solution too... I've nearly run out of that.

Aruni RC said...

Now that's what I call smart investing! The best thing, if you haven't noticed, is that the things already look as if you'd had them in some corner of your closet, and just decided to wear 'em.
Oh, and forget not, you're still supposed to pose for me (in any outfit {or none, ;-)} from your above list) when I become a photographer. Oops, let's amend that to if.

And do forgive my long absences, gentle lady (okay, I've got a Macbeth test on the 3rd of March; kindly excuse the Shakespearean obfuscations). The proximity of exams is inducing severe bouts of cranial atrophy in my inconspicuous intellect.
There's this CompSci Practical tomorrow. May I garner your sympathy and good wishes? Your 'secret' true name may be the closest I can get to St. Peter's benison!

DO you realise, my dear Pianopoet, I've just solidly spammed your post? I wonder why you still tolerate me . . . hmmmm....?

Different Pen said...

One should never disregard good shampoo. Where would the world be without it?! (In a very dirty place.)

Aruni, I shall strut and fret my hour upon the stage when you decide to photograph me!

Lucid Darkness said...

Of course. Shampoo is one of THE most essential items required to exist in this world. I am surprised that the government doesn't give it more importance. :P
Imagine what losses would occur if birds were to mistake people's hair for their nests. Seriously. So much extra weight upon our shoulders, right?

*Grin*