Thursday, April 01, 2010

girl, woman

Met a young girl and saw myself eons ago. That sparkle in innocent eyes, the joy, the dreams of wonderful adventures.

And later, staring into the mirror in the ladies' room, saw myself today. That weary look, the cynicism, the fear of a life hopelessly spinning away towards a scarier horizon. But also, a little bit of wisdom and a diamond core. The knowledge that I have seen so much and not yet perished. The comfort in knowing even broken dreams can be survived.

Sometimes I wish I was a teenager, with all the giggles and glossy hair and secrets between friends. But I took another look at the girl and then went on to do what a grown-up woman is meant to do. Gave her the help she needed just then; an opportunity, encouragement, a vote of confidence, a little bit of calm and wisdom.

We help each other grow.

4 comments:

Lucid Darkness said...

Hey, teenagers aren't always giggly. Some of them are pretty angsty.

However, you are right: broken dreams can be survived. And a bit of light from a soul sister goes a long way in doing just that. :)

Different Pen said...

You are right. I was a pretty angsty teenager myself as I recall... So most of the time I do NOT miss that period of my life.

Aruni RC said...

tinkering around with broken dreams in the hope they will take flight once again. yes, spent most of my teenage that way. and the angst too (pages and pages of it unloaded onto the poor blogosphere).
just outgrown it, yet already missing that period: where ideals were absolutes, dreams weren't touched by cynicism and laughter spilled untarnished.

Aruni RC said...

@PP yet while in slumber the embers dream of when they were flames. Erm... a la 'Viva la Vida'. :P