Saturday, April 17, 2010

my not-meant-to-be

Excerpt from the Mostly Secret Diary of a Foolish Girl:

He comes looking for me.

We idle for hours, sharing food and hugs, dreams and silly jokes, almost-forgotten memories. Nobody knows me like he does. Nobody else remembers that I like salmon, once had a dog that used to bite, dream of learning how to handle a pistol. He can tell me stories about my favourite school teacher from more than a decade ago. He listens to my crazy stories about my ex-boss that he's never met. He asks me about the things that matter to me. He laughs at my jokes. He doesn't only know my past, he understands it.

My soulmate. But every time, we go our separate ways. My wayward soul stubbornly demands solitude.

3 comments:

Aruni RC said...

At times solitude blurs into isolation, then descends into simple loneliness. Hope you manage to avoid that slow slide.

But tell me, does every person have that One and Only - and every other persons seems like a pale echo of what was?

Different Pen said...

Yes, I am familiar with that slow descent unfortunately.... But usually I manage to get back up eventually (with a little help from my friends).

A very good question - only one One and Only? I thought so, until I met another one. I lost him too... But knowing that there have been two completely unique and wonderful men gives me hope that there must be at least a few more out there. Strangely.

Aruni RC said...

:)