Wednesday, April 01, 2015

criminal, ugly fashion


Here's the thing: I really, really like  clothes.

Just wearing something a bit different, something I know looks good on me, not only makes me happy. It can give me hope for the future when I have none, it can boost my dreams and make me feel reinvented and inspired. Clothes help shape my self-image and heavily influence how confident I feel.
Having said that, I can lounge around in old PJ's on my days off (and hope nobody rings the doorbell - while I'm on the subject, let me apologize sincerely to those two Jehova's Witnesses whom I traumatized by answering the door in nothing but a ratty old bathrobe). And there are many days when I just throw on the same old pair of jeans and the first decent top that falls out when I open my closet door.

I spend very little money on clothes, since I buy most of them second-hand. Shoes I can occasionally drop a bit more money on (annually maybe 200 euro in total so not exactly shopping Louboutins, here). I view most of the fashion industry as an enormous, criminal waste of money and a disgusting oppressor of women.

I page through a glossy magazine, now and then, in the library. Mostly for the fashion editorials. Sometimes I like the clothes they present, more often not. (Maybe because my style never really seems to be in fashion, maybe because fashion editorial shoots just showcase really weird clothes that only sit well on stick-thin models and sometimes not even on them.) The shoes I may like, but know they wouldn't look good on me (six inch heels? I'm already taller than many men, so no thanks).

And the bags. What's the deal with the bags? All these LV, Chanel, Prada bags, all of them. SO UGLY. Am I really the only one to think so?

I have identified the outfit that is me, completely and utterly me.  Black, short/mid-length pencil skirt, black leggings/tights, and black boots, combined with a top that can be almost anything but preferably boho chic. I don't even wear it that often. But when I do, I know I'm being completely me.

No comments: