Friday, August 28, 2015

mocking the mock-ups

I looked through the new IKEA catalog. It took me about three hours, for the same reason I enjoy walking through their showrooms.

Not that I'm in love with their stuff. It's just a source of never-ending fascination to me, to see rooms that are designed and arranged for photo shoots. To think that every single item has been placed in that exact position to mimic reality and make people covet that room.
Like that throw "carelessly" abandoned on the bed, the books chosen for their cover, the mandatory plant included to add a splash of green. The bedlamps asymmetrically arranged to prove that this is a place where real people live (they have just stepped out for a moment).

And the kitchens - endless amusement in the way the too-few utensils are arranged on the shelves. Always a couple of plates and mugs, rarely matching but chosen to offset one another beautifully. Some odd item as well, such as an ancient key hanging on a hook. Colourful fruit.
I snort in mocking delight, but deep down inside, I do want to live in these rooms. The minimalist in me envies the person who can get by with so little stuff (and apparently afford a cleaner too).

No comments: