Monday, September 05, 2016

my dream factory

 My dream factory and my peace of mind - in a tiny cottage between the forest and the sea. One little room with a narrow bed, a table, a wood-burning stove and an ancient radio.

I am happiest when there are family members occupying the other tiny cottages beside it. Right now there is an odd assortment of an old mother, a strong brother-in-law and an excited poodle.

September chill, darkness dispelled by candles, too much chocolate with not a care in the world. A little sand on the floor and stains on the window because a wild, happy summer was spent here. My father once built these walls, my mother knitted the Eighties-blue sweater I'm bundled up in. I chose the school-book illustrations decorating the walls. Everything whispers, "All will be well".

This is the safest place on earth, even when the September night is at its darkest. From here I launch myself into the world - to mystery islands, to streets filled with strangers, to dreams.

No comments: