Friday, September 09, 2016

those who pause to listen

I love the get-togethers with friends where I am not at the centre of attention. Where I can stay in the background and listen - not having to entertain, keep the conversation going, be the good host or icebreaker or the glue between everyone.

I love friends who only hear occasional comments from me over the course of a long evening of chatter or heated discussions, and still pause to listen. Who look at me as if I'm important and note-worthy, laugh at my jokes, seem fascinated when I offer a rare look into my unknown past. Who take charge of the practical stuff so I can drift around and look at everything. Who see me as beautiful, funny and smart, lovely.

I love friends who get in touch when I disappear. And I am so, so blessed - because my friends do.

2 comments:

Aruni RC said...

we all "get by with a little help from my friends"

Different Pen said...

Truer words were never said.