Tuesday, November 29, 2016

history as it should be

I minored in history, back at university. Probably because of the house.


It was ancient and everything seemed to be made of wood: wood panelling on the walls, wood floors that squeaked, wooden window frames so bent with age that it was difficult to open the window.

It just seemed so right to be discussing ancient kings in this setting.

And it was a refuge from the modern languages department where I spent most of my time. Here, no-one made me write long essays or discuss themes I didn't understand in languages I didn't speak. I just sat there, among all that creaking wood, and listened to stories. Read a few books, sat a few exams, went on a fascinating field trip in a fragrant forest to see bronze age forts and iron age settlements.

It was university studies as I had thought they would be.

No comments: