Wednesday, December 07, 2005

more independent than intended

Day of Independence yesterday - Finland celebrating its 88th birthday. As usual a solemn, sober celebration. Due to poor planning on my part (eh, OK, to tell the truth I had almost forgot about this day) I didn't go out to see any of the parades or rituals in honour of the war veterans.

My favourite Independence Day tradition is getting a few friends together, stocking up on unhealthy food stuff, lighting candles and planting ourselves in front of the TV in the evening to watch the President's Independence Day Ball where all the celebrities and Important People are invited. Traditionally, you have to comment on the women's dresses, compete in how many Important People you can recognize and laugh at people tripping over each other in the crowded ball room of the President's castle. Even if you are too boring to have a good time, you can always exercise yourself intellectually by catching up on who are Important People in the republic of Finland nowadays and why - the ball is broadcast live on two TV channels (one in Finnish, one in Swedish) with a running commentary and interviews.

This year, all my friends seemed to have deserted me for various reasons. How sad. I pride myself on being an independent woman but it seems I need to go out there and get myself some more friends instead. Otherwise Independence Day gets a little too independent. I had no choice but to curl up in front of the TV all by myself. The only ones listening to my witty comments and intelligent remarks were the plants on the window-sill.

2 comments:

Prince K. said...

Independant? From Whom? Norway? In any case Happy Independance Day!!!

Different Pen said...

Norway... very funny. Russia, actually! But thanks anyway!