Sunday, August 06, 2006

escape is all I think about

The summer has been one of the warmest and dryest in Finland for a long time. I've spent a lot of time on the beach with all those screaming kids around, and sun-bathing on my balcony while trying to work at the same time. I have spent even more time in front of the computer in a twilit apartment, with the curtains drawn, trying to pretend there is no summer.

Time to forget about work for a while, time to take some real time off. Time to take myself off to the cottage between the forest and the sea again. Time to lie in the grass with a stack of novels, light a fire in the cooling evenings and remind myself that this is where I belong and that life is here and now. Maybe then my writing will take off again, if I'm lucky. Feels like I'm stuck in my worries. Time out!

3 comments:

Prince K. said...

Oh c'mon, I have exams coming up.... Drats! I am getting nervy.....

Bet you haven't seen summer... whats the temp. like?

The hottest here is around 35 degrees C....

Aruni RC said...

As kazarelth justly pointed out, you Finns have summer too easy. and spending that time with a 'stack of novels' lying on the grass...too delectable.

Alas, we however have to gear up for the exams. Kindly wish us luck (ps. we'll need it)

The thought that at least you are having a nice time ought to buoy me up a while.

Different Pen said...

All my deepest sympathy for your exams, both of you!! (Does it help?) Good luck anyway!

Just checking in here for a day or so before I go back to my cottage and stack of novels... Temperature averages 25 degrees C these last few weeks which is not unusual but the drought is definitely unusual for these parts. Never thought I'd say this, but I want RAIN!!