Tuesday, September 26, 2006

when a game is no longer a game

The volleyball ladies seem more determined about their play this year. I drop the ball and I feel their disapproving eyes on me. There are some new people here as well, younger than me, better at volleyball. At least that horrible thirteen-year-old future national team player is not here today so I'm spared the humiliation of seeing her smash home a ball that I missed. On the other hand, my pal from last year is not here either. She and I were in the same league and could share the burden of being the worst players on the team.

The hard work, the bruises, the sweat and the fatigue, the adrenaline rushes. All part of a good life. But afterwards, with acheing muscles in the changing room, nobody really looks at me, and I gather my things quickly and leave. There should be laughter, jokes, encouragement, winks. Volleyball should be played.

I blame the all-female team composition. In volleyball, there should always be men. They dare to joke, yell, flirt with female team members in the middle of a game. As a woman in a male team you are admired even though your spikes all go in the net.

Any male team out there that wants me? I can play volleyball. If it's really about playing.

2 comments:

Aruni RC said...

Erm...I can't say I follow volleyball much. except the beach variety, tho' that doesn't stem from any great interest in the game.

btw, how's the job factor doing?

Different Pen said...

Job situation not much better... some days I panic, some days I hope...