Wednesday, January 31, 2007

kicked myself out of paradise


In my magic Irish valley, walking through the woods as darkness falls.

As a city woman, I have not yet grasped the idea of being home before dark. The path is uneven, miles from streetlights and neon. Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. A rustle of deer or wild goats among ancient oaks, but I am too melancholy to be afraid of dangers. This is home, the hearth of my heart - how can one have lived in these mountains and not feel their breathing for the rest of her life?

Yet, a visitor. A tourist in my own dreams. A few days to wander these woods and gaze at the lakes and then leave.

The wishing well is a dark pool beneath the ghostly tree where wanderers through the ages have tied pieces of cloth, strings of beads, shards of their lives. I dip a finger in the cold mountain water and say "may this valley always be home. May I keep coming back".

Even though it tears me apart every time I do. I could have stayed here for the rest of my life, and it would have killed me. The other dimension of this magnificent peace is a maelstrom of conflict and powerful emotions, a black hole where you lose control, lose yourself. Intoxicating experience, like that first shot of a powerful drug, the immense pleasure of taking leave of reality. But after that you have to stop, force yourself to stay real and sane, take yourself away from there. Because you know you have to survive.

I hear a low rumble in the mountains, an explosion in a mine miles underground. The shriek of a deer makes me jump. But I see the lights from the inn, the promise of warmth and village gossip and hot whiskey by the fireplace. I wipe away the last of my tears. I may not ever allow myself to stay. But I will keep coming back.

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

(A.E. Housman)

3 comments:

Prince K. said...

Adorable photograph.
Yes. You are a mountain Elf...
Long have we city dwellers spoiled ourselves with our selfish selves.
Oh, how I wish I were with you in these long treks.
You are lucky PP! Did the trees talk?
Did you see Ents?
I wish that wish comes true...

Reality... what does that word define? Are we real? I am not sure...
Maybe, it is because we think we are real... Cogito ergo sum...
Or maybe not.
Beautiful peace of writing...
And, apt use of Housman's 40th verse.

Aruni RC said...

Very tangible post, almost visual.

Kaz, Ents seem to be a bit too much, really!

Different Pen said...

Thank you for encouraging comments! Ireland is the right place for any Elf. I used to be a person who wouldn't believe in anything except for what her eyes and ears told her - but there, I found myself looking for beings beyond that, listening to trees, searching for meaning in the smallest things...

I did see Ent-like trees... they didn't reveal themselves to me though.

Did Tolkien ever go to Ireland? I see so much of Middle Earth there. But I suppose England was once like this too.