Tuesday, January 02, 2007

magic starts the year

A New Year celebration by candlelight, looking out across the dark water and ceaseless fireworks, in the comfort of darkness and the company of old friends who are not afraid of my weird soul... I didn't even have to cook. It was peaceful. One of the best New Year's Eves ever, one where I didn't have to pretend to have fun either.

Now, the year has turned and settled into gear. The familiar worry in my gut makes itself known again. What will happen? Will I be able to cope? I'm so tired of being afraid.

Today, I watch the shifting fog. Today, I will manage. Just for today. Tomorrow can take care of its own troubles. One step at a time. I will get there.

The fog shifts again and the skyline is suddenly clear - except for the tall power plant with its mystical chimneys, my wellknown landmark, which is suddenly gone. Invisible. By some feat of magic, someone made it disappear. Only the smoke is still rising out of the emptyness. I laugh out loud in sheer surprise.

1 comment:

Aruni RC said...

The magic of the new year! Yet for all the joyous anticipation, it is after all just the 'next year'. Perhaps it is best thus, and the year turns . . .

The candlelight celebration sounds wonderful. I'm sure it was wonderful for you too, and glad of it.