Monday, February 26, 2007

beloved blood of my blood

Family get-together.

Wayward brother smelling of alcohol.
Two grandmothers trying to find common ground, one a globetrotter and wine connoisseur, the other a traditional, stay-at-home teetotaller.
A five-year-old doing his utmost to look under women's skirts.
Everyone embarrassed about what to say to the young cancer victim.
Siblings who never see each other trying to think of something to talk about.
Young cousins breaking each others' toys.

Surprisingly, a warm feeling. Family. Home. I belong. Count your blessings. And for God's sake, distract that five-year-old.

4 comments:

Prince K. said...

Hmm...
This family get-together does seem nice.
My! It would be great seeing the two grandmas quibbling.
Yes. I know the feeling about siblings not quite knowing each other. I don't know my sister that well. Though we do have some common ground. Eh. Maybe it is the gender-bender. Or, maybe the age-gauge. Or maybe it is me.

Suprisingly, I feel nice while reading this post.
And, yes. Distract that five-year old...

Aruni RC said...

Family.
You are blessed.

Inam said...

Ah this reminds me of Joyce's 'The Dead' ...the undercurrent of pain... of course, yours has a trace of hope too...

Aruni RC said...

And 'We the living' will always live on, a full life.