Monday, October 24, 2011

lame excuses found in fantasy literature

Nicholas said bitterly, 'I fail all the time.'
Pug's smile was unforgiving. 'But you have a reason for failing, don't you?'
Nicholas felt a cold stab to his stomach as he said, 'What do you mean?'
'You fail not because you're lacking but because you're the lame child.' Pug floated in the air before Nicholas. 'You have two choices, Prince of the Kingdom. You can hang here until you grow old, knowing that there are all manner of great things you might do: save innocents, find the woman of your dreams, protect your subjects ... if only you didn't have a lame foot. Or you can cut yourself free from your excuse.' 
Nicholas tried to pull himself upward but couldn't gain any leverage.
Pug pointed an accusing finger. 'You've hit the rocks! You know what it is.'
'It hurts!' cried Nicholas.
'Of course it hurts,' chided Pug, 'but you get over it. It's only pain.'

(from The King's Buccaneer by R.E. Feist)

What's my excuse for letting fear run my life? There are great things I could do. If it's lack of money, is it really that hard to find a better job? (Actually, yes, it is, but...) If family is keeping me in a place I don't belong, should I leave despite the pain? If I'm waiting for a vision from God Almighty, then God help me!

No comments: