Friday, January 13, 2012

a snowy night in the Underworld

"You know the Chinese curse: May you live in interesting times."
"You know, that's the first of two curses."
"What's the other one?"
"May you find what you're looking for."


(Quote from my latest TV obsession, White Collar)

I am in no danger of any of these curses befalling me. This is the dead of winter, literally and figuratively. And what I am looking for can never be found. So I sit through dark nights of blizzards, with lit candles, lots of wine and left-over Christmas chocolates. Sometimes I even savour it - being dead. Being far removed from life of any kind.

Because I am Eurydice and there is an Orpheus coming to play his lyre and get me out of here, without looking back. Or perhaps I will just play my own way out. I'm practicing on the lyre.

4 comments:

Aruni RC said...

somehow it's never cold enough in Winter for me to find what we're looking for.

maybe it'll not be Orpheus and Eurydice - so nauseatingly classical, greek and balmy. Rather more befitting the bleak blizzard would be Thor, riding atop the swirling snows.
I wouldn't exactly mind a Brunnhilde either. ;)
Happy new year (belated).

Different Pen said...

Indeed, I like Brunnhilde too!

Aruni RC said...

Erm... darn. Can't say the same about Orpheus, so then Brunnhilde on a shared basis? :P

PS - I get the weekends. haha.

Different Pen said...

:D
Okay then. It's a deal. I need her during work hours anyway.