Monday, February 02, 2015

lady gaga, meet bette midler

Would love to arrange my Spotify playlists into tidy, themed collections.

But they are a jumble of rock classics, electronic dance music, indie, lesser-known Broadway musical numbers, cheesy 80s ballads, Christian worship music, even Sunday school songs next to hiphop hits with "explicit" warnings on them. In at least five different languages. Sorted alphabetically to ensure that my listening experience skips freely from one genre to another. In my main list there are over 170 songs at present - everyone a favourite, all with a special meaning to me.

It's not that I couldn't sort them into something neater. It's just that the neatness would bore me. I love the wild mix.

It's for the same reason that my wardrobe, bookcase and Pinterest boards are a jungle. No pretty colour coordination or thematic categories in sight. I may try to keep it tidy but I can't bring myself to categorize.

I need to have it all there, side by side. All the extremes of my weird life in one glorious mess.

No comments: