Monday, October 27, 2014

international talks on earrings

An evening in a church basement. Tealights on tables attempt to cheer up the unatmospheric room. Less than 30 people present, nobody very interesting-looking to my jaded eyes.

Cynical and introverted as usual, I choose a seat at a distance from everybody else and prepare to just observe for a while and then go home  -

- but a guy from Honduras gives me a kind smile and I take a deep breath and start a conversation. From there on, I talk about gyms and prisons and Irish valleys with the pastor, laugh with some Ghanaian girls about their terrible teacher who happens to be my brother-in-law, try on somebody else's earrings, and discover that in this nondescript Finnish town there is a girl from St. Louis, Missouri, who wants to discuss linguistics.

At the end of the evening, instead of being long gone, I help clear away the burnt-out tealights.

No comments: