Wednesday, October 08, 2014

kick the bully in the teeth

Today, for the first time this autumn, the weather has that  hostile quality

An ice-cold wetness that threatens to hurt you and a grey darkness that tries to suffocate you with despair. The triumphant grin of a bully: "You're stuck with me until April."

I guess I could have dressed more appropriately than a thin cardigan and a flimsy skirt. But sometimes the best defense is a defiant demonstration of carefree, joyful summer attitude. It warms me more than a somber, thick coat.

I come home and light a candle. Pour myself a glass of wine. Put on a record by The Fray and realise that piano-driven music really is my thing. And remember that all those dark and cold nights ahead are made for candlelight, wine and for filling my mind with new knowledge and mesmerizing stories.

And in the spring, I will emerge stronger, wiser and loving life.

No comments: