Wednesday, May 31, 2006

à la recherche d'un pays perdu

It is time for a journey.

One of my favourite quotes is by Marcel Proust, who once said: A true voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. This is a motto to live by. A comfort when you walk down the dreary grey streets of the same old city again - I try to tell myself that there is always something new to discover. Sometimes it even works.

But after a while it stops working altogether and nothing breaks the monotony of your days. You find yourself stuck in the worn-down grooves of your mind. You are unable to see things from the other perspective. You live on long-gone discoveries and suddenly realise you haven't had an original thought in months. Then it is time to seek out those new landscapes. Do something you've never done before. Learn a new skill. Adopt a puppy. Make a new friend. Travel.

I have decided it is time for a journey. If I'm really lucky, it might be a week in France this summer. The mere thought of it makes me delirious. Sweeping hills, baguettes and brie cheese, medieval castles, chilled white wine under the sun, cranky old Frenchmen, le joie de vivre...

La France, si douce. Monsieur Proust, j'arrive tout suite.

2 comments:

Prince K. said...

I don't do all these things to normal people... But I do things with my teachers ...hehehehehe...
This is one of my favourite quotes:
"I don't claim to know English; I claim to know Ruskin" {When confronted by an editor when he wanted to translate John Ruskin, but didn't have that much command over English.}
Heres a blog about Marcel Proust
http://letempsdeproust.blogsome.com/
Plus : my advice: Do NOT see Da Vinci code.....its bad. Only Jean Reno and Ian McKellen {Bloody Brit} are any good...

I'd rather adopt cats... Cats are nice....
You can adopt an online pet here:
http://bunnyherolabs.com

I am not a bad guy to meet in person... I don't annoy people unless they really annoy me. {See, thats why I annoy teachers... Remember my previous posts?}

Aruni RC said...

Ah, quite the belle!
also the land of Cocteau and Sartre.
Here's to those weird named vineyards. And insane frenchmen who say oui million a times