Saturday, April 12, 2008

to see a world in a cup of tea

Day two: A walk in town among Saturday shoppers, many familiar faces around.

Registered for a lottery where you can win travel tickets but ruined my chances with a sarcastic comment on the registration sheet. The sun was shining. The city always wears me out - all these people who seem to either be happier than you or need something from you.

But ran into an angel whom I invited for tea and chat to my place this evening. Thus I managed to avoid another Saturday evening alone. Inspired, I sent a text message to another lonely person and invited her too. We invisible people can at least have each other to look at.

The rest of the afternoon, curled up with a blanket in the sunshine on the balcony, reading about the olives, sheep cheese and thyme honey of Crete. Surprisingly peaceful mood. The visit to the Chinese restaurant on my way home from town might have accomplished that - I ordered some spring rolls for take-out and the little Chinese matron placed a steaming cup of green tea in front of me while I waited. The fragrance of the tea, the very un-Finnish red-and-gold wallpaper of the restaurant, and the murmured conversations of the few lunch guests briefly brought me to another world.

Sometimes that's all I need for happiness.

5 comments:

Prince K. said...

It's surprising how much we do need for happiness.

Prince K. said...

Also, before I do forget {as I did the previous year} Happy Belated Birthday!

Different Pen said...

Thanks!!

Prince K. said...

{That was for your previous year.}
{This one is for this year:}
HAPPY BIRTHDAY IN ADVANCE!

Aruni RC said...

Oh darn! Too late for even a belated wish.

(I'd better wait for the next year to atone)