Saturday, February 04, 2012

transcendence, or how God tries to woo me

* Birdsong in the mornings when I walk to work or open the balcony door - even in midwinter, even when it's 25 degrees below freezing point.
* A day off, lounging on the couch with a coffee mug. Watching spring clouds or a bleak winter sun - sticking close to the horizon - move across the sky, taking their time. In no hurry anywhere, just being what they are: glorious.
* A bathtub, candlelight and Bach.
* Ireland.
* Taking a break from a grey, anguished, everyday life and sitting down at a café table. Being comforted by caffeine and a sugar rush, watching people walk by and having important thoughts just come to me. Or even just retiring to the dismal staff room at work and pouring myself a cup of hot black coffee, feeling as if this is a tiny moment of grace.
* Pubs.
* Ancient vaults surrounding me as I feel centuries of human life rush by.
* Music that overwhelms me, classical and modern at once.
* A walk through a foreign landscape.
* A smile and a touch from someone admirable.
* Experiencing the flow of creating / learning / doing something I'm good at / spiking a volleyball.
* A long drive, alone with music.
* Summer evenings by the sea, with a bottle of wine.
* The moment when I realise that someone knows exactly how I feel.
* The feeling of rebellion and freedom and being strong - I might have to explore that one further.

2 comments:

Lucid Darkness said...

I love Bach too. And bathtubs are blissful!

Different Pen said...

And the combination is beyond description!