Saturday, April 05, 2014

better to curse the darkness than to light a candle

A crescent moon.
Was Not Was: "Walk The Dinosaur" 
Dancing on the volleyball court and grinning at all the men.

Avocado and mushroom omelet.
A silver laptop.
A job I feared, which turned into a job I loved.
My favourite bookshop and lists to go through.
Speaking a foreign language fluently.

= things that made me happy today.

-----------------------------------------------
Bonus feature:

My incredulity at looking at a candle in a shop and discovering that it cost 50 euro. FIFTY. EURO. In what world would you pay that for a candle?

It actually made me angry. Not because I couldn't live without the candle. But to think that there may be people who would actually buy it, when approximately 20 000 people around the world died from hunger only today, that kind of scared me. What is wrong with us?

4 comments:

Aruni RC said...

Oh yes. that outrage. have felt it too.
I grew up in a city where Jaguars and Mercs are parked next to a garbage dump from where children rummage their meal for the day, with dogs and crows for company. that outrage never leaves.

Different Pen said...

I think I need to feel that outrage sometimes. Because otherwise I just forget that there are children rummaging for food in the trash, and then one day I find myself buying a candle for fifty euros and not thinking twice about it.

Aruni RC said...

maybe. Although, growing up I used to dream of being able to buy that candle without a second thought, and be able to leave the children and the trash far far behind.

Different Pen said...

Yes, I think we have all had that dream (I'm certainly not in a position to fork out 50 euro like that!) and it's a very human and healthy thing to strive for a better and easier life. We are made to develop and grow and invent and dream.

But how to balance that desire with the outrage we feel sometimes and make something good out of the mess... that's the question.