Friday, August 12, 2016

a year of love/hate and whiskey under the stars

From my diaries: the year 2003 ...

* A year in the Irish valley -  love and hate. Life-flowing walks, tempesteous intrigues, exotic people. Working hard, flirting wildly, making a hotel bar my home. This was the year everyone wondered where Saddam was.
* Auld Lang Syne and Bailey's liqueur on New Year, on duty in a hotel reception. My employer gave me free alcohol at midnight but no food on New Year's Day. Cried of hunger.
* Risked jail by driving illegally to Newgrange, a mystery more ancient than Stonehenge and the Pyramids. Was stuffed into an underground tomb with 20 teenagers.
* Sci-fi-obsessed and stayed up every night to watch TV.
* Valentine's Day under siege: alone in my room with wine and chocolate to avoid an admirer who desperately wanted to give me flowers.
* Represented the village badminton team in a local game. This being Ireland, there were drinks afterwards.
* Discussed immigration with Irish embassies in Bratislava and Moscow.
* Gained entry into a cathedral through the sacristy wall.
* Almost killed myself working for a hateful boss who was never happy. Felt bullied and persecuted, felt very much loved by others. Lots of crying in the back office, public fits of rage, stolen desserts with my only allies and 3 a.m. drinking at the mysterious Table Twenty-Seven.
* Discussions about South American brothels and whether it is possible to worship a curtain.
* Was offered a thousand euros to marry a Chilean. He loved me for my European passport.
* Hated a Frenchwoman.
* Celebrated a big birthday in Dublin's Temple Bar with friends, vodka and no sleep for three nights.
* Holiday in the heart of Ireland: the town of Birr, stuck in a time-warp and impossible to leave.
* A night in a 13th century castle with cocktails and canopy beds.
* Trip to Cork and the Kingdom of Kerry with Finnish strangers and friends. Almost crashed our car into a chainsaw and witnessed what we interpreted to be a secret IRA burial. Only with my own people can I laugh so hysterically. Drove across the mountains while a Gaelic lass sang us rebel songs, danced all night in Dingle.
* Romance with a sweet Irish lad who had no curiosity.
* A summer of laughs with two Aussies and a Frenchie. Picnics in castle gardens, games of pool, watching TV in bed, exploring a cave.
* Witnessed an Irish form of pub entertainment: pretend horse-racing but without pretend horses.
* A night in a thousand-year-old cemetery with candles, whisky and all the stars of the sky.
* Conquered a mountain.
* Gave an interview for the radio while leaning against a gravestone.
* Saw an Irish dance show at the theatre and studied albino hedgehogs at the museum of natural history.
* November weekend hidden away among rain-swept hills, sipping drinks by the fire with my best friend.
* Chased the police for a residence permit but they avoided me diligently.
* Adventures in the Dublin nightlife, Wexford and Waterford.
* A Christmas holiday in Finland with the flu, a new Thai niece, pancakes in a Helsinki hipster kitchen and a party in an old farmhouse on a starry, ice-cold night.
* Decided to leave Ireland, the land of my dreams.

Weirdest question asked of me this year (by man in medieval garb, long hair and desperate eyes): ”Do you have some oyster shells I can borrow?”

3 comments:

Aruni RC said...

"Far on the ringing fields of windy Troy,
I am part of all that I have seen"
--
It must be an indescribable delight (shot through with nostalgia, sure) look back on the gems of travel and passion and youth. I find these glimpses of a life richly lived most exhilarating.

Different Pen said...

Oh, thank you! I didn't think anyone would bother reading my tedious nostalgic forays (written mostly to document past times of my life).

I am part of all that I have seen - I had not come across that quote before, how nicely put!

Aruni RC said...

Glad you liked the quote, it is a not-very-famous portion from Tennyson's famous Ulysses. We had that in high school, an eternity and more ago.