Saturday, November 19, 2005

ancient memories of an ex-vagabond

I own seven butter knives in wood but only one dull kitchen knife.
Nine vases but hardly enough plates to invite a couple of friends in for dinner.
A supply of towels and table cloths that would be enough to wrap a small Baltic country in but no machine to wash them in afterwards.
Three complicated mixers and blenders that probably have higher IQ than I have, but no pot to boil water in.
A trendy pasta ladle but no pasta.

The consequences of living as a student, with half the household consisting of borrowed and shared stuff, for years and then a few more years bumming around Ireland and Britain with nothing more than a few clothes, cosmetic essentials and a supply of novels.

Setting up a household again is intriguing. It's been "only" five years since I last had some semblance of a normal life and it's amazing how things have changed since then. Back then I still had a phone that was stuck to the wall and couldn't go anywhere (horror! All the times I couldn't go out because I was waiting for some guy to call - and he never did!). A microwave was something owned only yuppies (the same ones who had mobile phones) or people who also had three kids, big house and estate car. I wrote my Master's thesis on a computer that had to be allowed to rest every now and then, couldn't handle pictures and had only two games - Tetris and Minesweeper (I haven't beaten my personal record since those times).

I still can't afford a washing machine, dishwasher, electric kettle, toaster, a good kitchen knife, curtains, a new couch or even decent tagliatelle pasta. But I have a new, shiny microwave that would look good on Star Trek (oh no! Another thing of the past!) and a laptop that can surf the net, play DVDs, write a novel in Greek, sing little happy tunes and probably cook too (if I could afford the ingredients).

And I am a happy woman of the 21st century.

3 comments:

Prince K. said...

Ah! At last 21st century. If you wanna know about me I could go on. I have a Compaq Presario laptop and a mammoth {In terms of power} PC which can simultaneously play Ground Control II and Homeworld II and Warcraft III together at full graphics! Proud here too. Sorry couldn't arrange the party, I have a net embargo {I am commenting now as there are no people in my house!) I have to STUDY! funny isn't it, if you just insert an PI {22/7} before D and a IT after D, You get STUPIDITY. Sorry again

Different Pen said...

How annoying to have to study when you could play all three at the same time!! :)

I shouldn't be online either since I'm supposed to be working... But the real world is sometimes less tempting than cyberspace.

Prince K. said...

Thanks for commenting, and keep waiting. I will post this Thursday {At least hope to...}. And you don't have to tell me about annoying studies. At least you are in a university. I am in school. {Sort of stuck for three more years}