Friday, November 25, 2005

daylight and day darkness

You know it's November when you have to switch the light on in the morning (if you get up before 9 am it's still pitch black) and keep in on all day. What they call "daylight" is greyish twilight.

My city had it's official Christmas season opening, which is a way of telling people they should get going with their mad Christmas shopping. I went to see the fireworks with a couple of friends and the streets were so crowded and icy that it was hard to walk. There was an old-fashioned market in the town square - "old-fashioned" meaning that some of the vendors had dressed up in big shawls and old woollen trousers/skirts and decorated their stalls with little lanterns. It didn't look very authentic though - was it perhaps the other stalls flashing ads for cotton candy in neon lights?

When I got home I decided to put some of my own (more discreet and beautiful) Christmas lights up in the window. Hey, I know it's early but I blame the darkness. Now I'm only waiting for the snow.

No comments: