Sunday, October 15, 2006

damsel in technological distress

Technology is neither good nor bad, but our thinking makes it so. To paraphrase Shakespeare. Despite being a characteristic female I am able to operate a microwave oven and a car. I can even reboot a computer. Still, the sight of any unfamiliar gadget with more than two buttons makes me shudder.

But this fact has sometimes unpredictable benefits for my social life. Today, I was faced with one of these unfamiliar gadgets with about thirty buttons and fifteen cables plugged into it, and felt myself starting to hyperventilate.

Thirty seconds later, I had not one but two gorgeous-looking men rushing to my assistance. I gave them both my most dazzling smile. One of them found the on/off button and the gadget problem was solved. But at least I got their attention.

2 comments:

Aruni RC said...

aaaaargh! darn those guys. i'm gettin' a ticket 4 Finland right now! Nice guys tho. But then faced by such a damsel, most guys would be helpful.
I guess technology takes away the soul from the world. But, yes, a necessarily soulless world is the net result.

Different Pen said...

Thanks to technology, though, I see the proof that there are good people in the world.